May 6th, 2014 | Innovation
What is Aesthetica?
Aesthetica simulates the effect of manufacturing variation on products given engineers an opportunity to identify and resolve Perceived Quality problems at an early stage of the product development.
- Accurate simulation of product variation including assembly and part deformation of during the manufacturing process supporting verification of target specifications and full Monte-Carlo analysis of proposed locator schemes and tolerance stack-ups, including form variation and deformation of flexible/compliant parts for every build sample, delivering the most accurate, trustworthy and reliable visual results on the market
- Instantly visualize all possible variations, including worst, best, most/least likely cases, to discover potential problems and then using the key contributors to adjust the model and quickly try out possible solutions;
What is THEIA-RT?
THEIA-RT is a real-time ray tracing, global illumination and BRDF based Virtual Reality solution supporting accurately lit real time visualization of products in a full range of immersive virtual reality environments, from desktops and tracked HMD’s to full size Caves and PowerWalls.
- Accurate lighting, reflections, shadows with full global illumination and BRDF calculations using on world’s most accurate light simulation technology (as verified by CIE International Standard);
- Real time rendered environment supporting for full range of Virtual Reality environment including immersive displays, tracked 3D input device, haptic feedback and large scale, high resolution display environments;
THEIA-RT and Aesthetica integration
OPTIS is pleased to announce the first integration of Aesthetica and THEIA-RT:
The integrated solution combines the best of both products to create the world’s first virtual prototyping environment that features both physically accurate simulation of product variation and physically accurate lighting with real-time rendered in a Virtual Reality environment;
This gives the engineer a virtual prototype that is as close to the real product as possible, in terms of physical appearance, shape and form, allowing them to undertake full Perceived Quality audits and inspections of proposed product designs virtually, without the need for physical models.
This means engineers can be confident that any problems discover using the virtual prototype, will be real problems on the actual product and not just artefacts due to inaccurate lighting or variation assumptions or calculation errors.
Several potential solutions can then be testing and virtually verified in real time by simply adjusting the parts, materials, tolerances, etc. and seeing the change in the variation and lighting simulations.
Benefits of the Integrated Solution to the Product Development Process
The integrated solution delivers significant benefits, particularly at the early concept and product development stages, including:
- Reduced dependence on physical models;
- Discovering potential problems earlier in the product development cycle;
- Understanding and prioritising what are the real serious issues;
- Sharing and improving the communication of complex quality issues to non-specialists;
- Ensuring delivery of the most robust and highest quality design possible;
- Ultimately resulting in large savings in both time and money, and significantly improved quality.